Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Quick Hitter

It's Tuesday. Meh.

Haven't played poker in a bit--kinda maddening, but at the same time, the break has been good (believe it or not). I know in my last post, I bemoaned the "lull." It's actually been kinda nice not thinking about poker as intensely as I have. I needed a break--a chance to decompress. I'm about there, and I suspect I will complete the journey this weekend. HS reunion on Saturday, and then fly home Sunday to watch football and do some odds and ends. I'll get back into my "Vegas" mode on Monday night at an NFL Alumni Charity night. Oughta be fun, just gambling with monopoly money, all for a good cause.

Gonna finally get to play some golf on Tuesday--the 2nd day of the NFL Alumni function, and then Wednesday, I'll be hanging out with NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon with his Foundation dinner. I think this makes 3 straight years I have worked with Jeff on this project, and I can't say enough how super a person he is. I know he is hated by tons of NASCAR fans, and that's fine. The person I know is the same guy that drives the car. He's very cool, and his PR director has said he wants to play some poker with us sometime. I told him, Jeff has to come along too, and said sure--but that was before Jeff and Ingrid (his wife) had their baby. The invite still stands.

Keep watching the WSOP Main Event coverage on ESPN. With all due respect, Humberto Brenes needs to be muzzled, and Hevad Khan needs to take his meds. Brenes and those friggin sharks are embarrassing. I don't care if he uses them to "help him make his decisions," but when he starts the whole routine of shouting and crap in front of players who are about to hit the rail, that's nuts and very disrespectful. I have said alot of things at a poker table, but NEVER taunted a player when they were about to be busted out of a tourney. It's just wrong.

As for Khan...wow. Too many red bulls, and not enough interaction with humans as a kid explains a lot of his goofy behavior. Not as annoying as Humberto with the sharks, but shouting "BULLDOZER" when he drags a pot, the idiotic looking monkey dance (or gorilla dance--I forget)....deserving of a smack to the chops. There was one hand I did enjoy watching between Khan and another player who was either partially or totally deaf (advantage to that guy playing Khan). The hearing impaired player had KK, raised, Khan with A6o re-raised (he had the big stack at the table at the time), hearing impaired guy shoves, Khan has to call, since he's priced into the pot. Hearing impaired dude scoops the pot, and then....this is the part I loved....places his left foot on the rail, and begins imitating a fisherman as he is reeling Khan in! The guy isn't yelling, or screaming, and while I would frown on such antics, it makes me happy to see the loudmouth guy get a taste of his own medicine.

Other thoughts:

* VH1 Classic in the morning-solid. "We are the 80's" is quality music in the morning.

* Wife and I painted the bedroom in anticipation of my parents visit over Thanksgiving, and my daughter's possible visit this month. Sorta sage green. It's bad ass. Pics will follow once the room is completed with furniture and stuff. Wife and I managed to not strangle each other during the project--another project where it went smoothly. Convincing me even more that we are perfect together.

* CANUSA Cup Golf--part 3 for 2007 on tap for Oct. 27. Gonna be a quick trip for me--up late Friday night, back Saturday night with NFL commitments on Sunday. Couple poker league boys gonna play in this one, as we are short handed on Americans for some reason. Very weird, but I hate to think the CANUSA is losing its lustre. You can check out the website by clicking right here.

Good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: