Sunday, October 21, 2007

Riding the Rollercoaster

Chips are down. Then they are up. Then down. Then I'm out.

That's about the way things ran for me in our League event Saturday. Not a complaint. I dusted off a bunch of chips early, starting with 3K, down to 1125 at the break. Went on a nice rush and worked the stack to around 5K, and then 2 hands bit my ass.


Blinds 100-200, 25 ante, I'm in BB.

Early position raiser makes it 600 to go. I have Kc7c. I flat call to see a flop. My opponent, at the time, was playing relatively tight, not mixing it up too much without some kind of decent starting hand. My pre-flop read, because he was chatting me up before I made the call, was JJ or QQ. My suited cards gave me the thought to take a flop for 400 more, and if I whiff it, I get out.

Flop:
K-2-4, rainbow

Hmmmm....top pair. I check, opponent checks. He fears the K (I say to myself).

Turn: 4.

I bet 1200 into the pot. He shoves all in (I have him covered). Now this move made me pause and think what could he have that has me beat? AK? Maybe, but not likely. I had him on a pair, not a big ace. JJ or QQ seemed more likely, and I thought the all-in was a shove to drive me out. I tank for a minute or 2, and decide to make a crying call, knowing I still have outs to win the hand.

He rolls over 22, for a boat, deuces full of fours.

In unison--"MISREAD!"

LOL. I still had outs, although very few--any K or any 4 makes me the better hand, but the river was a 10. Ugh. Stack cut to 1250 (I think). My read was partially right--I had him on a pair, just not 22. Nice hand, VP.

VERY NEXT HAND, in the small blind, I had AQ, and a mid-position player goes all in, for 1350. I have to call there, as I am only dominated by AA or KK. All in player shows 10-10. I know you hear all the time...."players always seem to hit the Ace when they need it, but not me..." so I'll spare you that, and just say, I didn't improve, and went out in 14th place.

Picked up 2 points (WEEEE!), but still the night was so much more than that for me. Had a blast (as usual), playing with our group--I won't say it enough, we have some damn good people in our league. People I proudly call friends. My favorite in the league, though, was able to put behind him a horrible week, and take home the top prize.

Vito shook off the passing of his father-in-law, and played some of the most amazing poker I have seen him play. Sure, he got lucky a couple times (some I did not see, but heard about), but when he wasn't getting lucky, he was playing his ass off. Truly a sight to behold. It was certainly emotional for him, as well as me. I'll admit, when he won the tournament, I started choking up inside. I have not suffered the loss of a parent yet, and my ex-wife's father passed away when I was living in Texas. I was never close to him, so it didn't affect me too badly. Vito took his FIL's passing to heart (as mentioned in the previous post), and to see him get away from his grief and play as hard and as well as he did....it was beautiful.

So, we are now idle until next month, and I am planning on hosting the event. My folks are coming in from Vegas that night, and they are fully aware of the league and its doings, so they are looking forward to finally meeting my fellow degenerates. Oh, and if any of my league fellows wish to have a reading while she is in town, my Mum will likely hook ya up with one....but remember, ya gotta take care of the host!

Make it a great week--I know I'm gonna try!

~M

No comments: