Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A flop, turn and river

Haven't sat at a table since the last league game, so very little in the way of poker in this entry. Couple things:

1-Fall CANUSA went the way of the Americans, a 7 shot win. The field was trimmed from 24 to 16 over the span of 2 days as the Canadians lost 4 players due to varying reasons (1 had a business trip come up, another a family emergency in Toronto, another suffered a separated shoulder, and one other...well we don't really know). That left the USA Captain (me) with tough decisions. Luckily for me, one of our guys had a family emergency (his wife's father passed away--condolences to Cathy), so that took Randy out of the mix, I had to tell our poker buddy Sly we couldn't use him, and there was some confusion with 2 other Americans, so we cut them too. Once we played, I was reunited with my longtime buddy Darren. Darren is the guy that got me involved in this thing 7 years ago, and has it been a blast. Darren has since relocated to Upstate New York, and rarely gets a chance to play golf with us. He came down, and we partnered up for an even par round of 72. He made everything on the greens--it was sick. Truly an enjoyable day of catching up with an old friend, and sharing plenty of laughs over 18 holes of golf.

2-T-minus 5 days until I hit 38. It's been this way for a while--try and shoot my age for 9 holes of golf. Once I hit 40, I will look to be lower than my age, but for now, my age would do just fine. I know 38 isn't a milestone birthday, but still. 38? Just seems old. I know there are those of you that read this that are older--this is my dilemma, not yours! Kidding. Looking forward to Saturday, as we have a decent size field ready for some hold 'em. Don't know what the starting stack will be, but it could range from T10K to T25K. Still mulling and waiting to see just how many players we actually have.

3-Congrats to Red Sox Nation, winners of the 2007 World Series. I was amazed at just how well those cats played against Colorado. I sill maintain that having the Rockies sit idle for 8 days was a huge disadvantage for them. They hadn't had 8 straight days off since before spring training. That's just too long for baseball players to not play baseball, once they have gotten into their routine. Anyway, Boston was the better team, in my opinion, and deserved the ring. now if only the White Sox would get some of that hunger back....ugh.

4-Back to the birthday....what do you ask for if you are 38 years old? I have no idea. I always love new playing cards, and I have had my eyes on the KEM WSOP decks from this year's WSOP--the red/black backs looked so nice on TV. I wouldn't mind a setup of those ,but of course, if it's linked to Harrah's, it will carry the Harrah's ridiculous price mark-up. It's like $40 for 2 decks of cards. I don't know. Plus, if you know me, you know I am a big hockey freak, and love pro-weight jerseys. Well, the NHL changed the jersey style this season, and pro-weight NHL jerseys now go for like $250. WAY too high....did find a place that has some of my preferred style from last season for $120, but tough finding my size. The search continues.

Hope you have a great week, and weekend. Will TRY to leave another post before the weekend, but don't hold me to it. If not, something Sunday or Monday after the festivities will be in order.

Good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: