Friday, October 19, 2007

The Friday Notebook

Don't have one topic or anything, just feel the need to jot some things down--hope I don't bore you to pieces.

1-Getting a weird feeling about our league, in that, I don't know if people still REALLY want to do it. It's becoming harder and harder to get commitments out of some folks if they are playing from month to month, and there are some grumblings that players aren't having nearly as much fun as they used to. I really want our league to succeed and be fun. I truly enjoy to company of all of players in our league, and I am willing to help keep this thing going. We've had lots of laughs, fun, and cards together. I hope we haven't run the course with the league, as it's something I look forward to each and every month.

2-Got smoked at work on Thursday. I mean SMOKED. Was at a basketball game, when one of the players fell out of bounds and I ended up getting hit in the melon with a camera. I felt fine at the time, but really wasn't. Rest of the day is somewhat of a blur, but I do remember feeling very lethargic. I don't want to use the word concussion, but if I didn't have one, I was as close as you could be to having one. Not fun at all. Much better today, after a good night's sleep (and plenty of Advil).


3-Life could be changing in a big way in the near future. My parents are ready to move out of Las Vegas, so once they sell their house, they are likely going to be moving in with Mrs. Chipstack and I. I don't fear that. I welcome it, and truth be told, my wife was the one pushing for it. She was insisting on it, so that's fine with me. My folks need to get out of Vegas--bad place for them. It will be good to have them here--they are visiting at Thanksgiving--so they can see what life is like in our little burgh, and then they can plan accordingly.

4-The flipside of parents moving in, is parents leaving us. I don't mean abandonment, I mean death. One of my very best friends, lost his father-in-law this week. My buddy is a fine man, father, and husband who simply "gets it." He is a big reason why I am so much in love with the game of poker as well. His father-in-law put him, and his family, through some really tough and trying times over the past couple of years, as health and strength were failing him. Yet, in the face of it all, my pal managed to keep a smile, keep grinding, square his shoulders and lean into the challenges. That's just what he does. I am proud to call Vito my friend. I hurt for him during this period of loss. I do know that Vito is a better man for knowing his father-in-law, and I am a better person for knowing Vito.

Good luck, and good cards.
~M

No comments: