Friday, June 6, 2008

Mr. Chipstack, Sr. (1933-2008)

All my life, I have known my idols. Most of them were athletes. A baseball player, hockey player, football player, you name it, I had a favorite.

None of them taught me anything about life. None of them taught me anything about how to be a better person.

All of my childhood idols fell a distant 2nd to the man who did everything for me, from put a roof over my head, to hug me at my lowest points.

I lost my father on Thursday, June 5. His body had done all it could to keep him alive, but, alas, his heart would fail him. He died peacefully, in his bed, asleep. He had fought a number of health issues--diabetes, arthritis, congestive heart failure, and even viral cardiomyopathy. An impressive list, no doubt.

He battled every problem the way he battled everything. He battled the system, leaving behind his native Colombia, South America to come to the USA for the promise of a better life. He beat the odds, made it here along his brother and sisters. They all succeeded in finding the American Dream. My father met my mother, got her to learn Spanish to communicate better (but her Spanish is atrocious, lol), while he learned the English language. His broken English was tough for some to understand, but the message would usually hit home.

My father worked hard. He was an engineer for a major railroad company in my native home of Chicago. He learned to work on machines, and after retiring from the railroad game, he went into business for himself as a locksmith. Something about making small pieces fit together, make it into a bigger thing, and ultimately have that thing serve a purpose. Gadgets were his game, and man, he was the nuts. The locksmith business did quite well in Chicago, but suffered when my folks relocated to Las Vegas in the late 1990's.

Dad's health began to decline in Vegas, although he wasn't as bothered by the arthritis any longer. The dry conditions seemed to alleviate that issue. Maybe a part of him wanted to stay in Chicago, maybe a part of him missed it. I can't say for sure. His heart began giving him troubles in 2000. He underwent quadruple bypass surgery, came through that, and seemed to be on his way to a long and happy retirement. The Lord had other plans for him, however. Thursday was his day to visit the Man upstairs.

Don't get me wrong, by no means does his passing make me happy--it doesn't. It sucks bigtime. I love my father very much. He showed me how to hit a baseball, tie my shoes, ride a bike, change the oil in my car (although now that Mrs. Chipstack knows I can accomplish this, there likely won't be anymore Jiffy Lube trips in my future, lol), and so much more. He taught me about life. He taught me the value of helping someone that couldn't help themselves. He taught me compassion.

My father and I shared many wonderful times together. From going to baseball games in Chicago, to playing poker or Pai Gow poker in Vegas, to just sharing a bowl of cereal in the morning. Every minute with him was a joy. Those are moments I shall treasure forever.

I am lucky, that I was able to speak to him on Wednesday night. I called the house from work, in the hopes I could say hello. Mom had told me that he wasn't doing so well. She didn't come right out and say it, but I think she knew his time was winding down. Our conversation was brief.

Me-"Hey, Pops, how you doing?"
Dad-"Not too good."
Me-"Hang in there, Dad. I love you."
Dad-"I love you too."

That was it.

Frank Sinatra once said "you only live once, but if you lived like I have, once was enough."

I would have to say that my father also qualified for that statement. He had done enough in his life, from leaving behind his native land to become a naturalized US citizen, to raising my older brother and sister and I, to being a wonderful Grampa to my daughter and 2 boys, and to my brother's kids, to even working one round of golf in Las Vegas as my caddie. I fired a round of 77 by the way, which included me making 4 double bogeys in 18 holes. If you're a golfer, do the math.

Dad was my inspiration that day on the course, and every day of my life. He was my biggest idol, and I hope he knew I was his biggest fan.

Thanks, Dad. Nice hand, sir.

I love you.

~M

Writer's Note-The blog will be on hiatus for the next week or so, as I attend to family business. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers in this difficult time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Mike, well said. You and your family are in your "other family's" thoughts and prayers as you go to celebrate your Dad's life. Sounds like quite a man.

Jim from down the hall

Jam-Fly said...

Sorry to hear this man. RIP