Friday, November 2, 2007

My last day on Earth

at this age.

HAHA! Thought I was going into some deep, "what will my life be like the day before I die" thing? Hah! Nope, birthday is tomorrow, and I can't wait. Good group of folks coming to the house for some cards and fun, Mrs. Chipstack is working on something for me, too. It's gonna be fun.

It is funny to hear some people talk about birthdays. "I'm getting old..." or "Soon, I won't remember what day my birthday falls on..." I find it funny. I realize that I am approaching 40 (which, to some of my friends is still young), but I have been a big believer in the sage words of my old buddy in Chicago, Chez. "Age is just a number--you are only as old as you think you are."

It's true. My buddy Chez was a supervisor at the ice arena I worked at in Chicago. He played semi-pro hockey in his younger days, and by the time we became friends he was in his late 30's, early 40's. He played hockey with us during our Friday morning employee skates. The game was called "Hit The Post" originally, because we never could get goaltenders, so goals were scored when a shot clanged off a post. As the game grew, we had to tell goalies NOT to show up. Chez taught me a lot about the game of hockey, how to get better as a player and the like, and he also taught me a love for horse racing. I had always loved the ponies, but after talking to him about the science of racing, it was a new world.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I've seen Chez, or even spoken to him for that matter, but he remains one of the biggest influences in my life. One of the mentors that showed me sides of life I hadn't even thought of, and made me a better person as a result.

Hope you have a great weekend, and if we break out the camera on Saturday, pictures shall be shared. No lampshades, though. Sorry.

~M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Coach!