Monday, January 21, 2008

Well, THAT was fast...

And yes, I am talking about poker (you sickos).

January league event, that I had been looking forward to, lasted all of 38:19. Likely less, but that is when the computer said I was busted out.

Thing is, I was playing pretty well. Picked up a couple pots early, had my stack, after starting with T3K, up to about 3800, but raised in one hand with AJ, and then folded it to a re-raise from a player with JJ. Little did I know, JJ would be me undoing.

Last hand of the tourney for me:

I am in late position and look down at JJ. I raise it up, and the button flat calls.

Flop: 4-10-3, rainbow.

I bet 300, button re-raises 300 more. I call.

Turn: 3

I check, button bets 1000. I shove, he calls, and shows QQ.

DAMMIT!

Of course, I miss my 2 outer (as I should have), and was done.

It has been a long time since I was the first one busted out of a tournament, and man, do I hate that feeling. I don't mind how I went out--well, I kinda do, because I probably could have gotten away from the hand, but just didn't believe the story I was being told. That's my own stubborn self being an idiot there. My opponent played the hand well, and got the chips. Nh, sir.

Being the first one out is a stinging feeling. The feeling you get when you get caught talking in class, and sent to the principal. It's a lonely walk to that office, and the walk from the table to someplace else to contemplate your fate is identical. It's a feeling I don't want to have, ever again.

If I go out on a bad beat--as in I had the best hand, and got unlucky, then you KNOW it was out of your control. When you get played like I did, well, it's just worse.

I did have some success in the cash game afterwards, so the night wasn't a total loss, but I dropped to 3rd overall in points, and that means I have a ton of work to do if I want to win the POY title. I want that title, so much to do, there is (a little Yoda reference for ya).

There was a positive to come from the tourney. Volsfan, recently released from the hospital after having a surgery, won for the 2nd time this season. She's playing some quality poker, and the results are finally coming for her. I am happy for her, but now, she is my sworn enemy. Mortal enemy, even. I must find a way to disrupt her mojo.

OK, I'm kidding. She really is playing great, so I need to watch my back when we are at the table together.

As for poker for me, gonna be slow this week, as I have NASCAR duties this week. May try for a Sunday game, unless I make it into the field on Saturday at the Big Kat's game on Saturday. Time will tell.

Good luck and good good cards
~M

No comments: