Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The League Loses One of its Own


Yep, the day was going to come, but we finally lost one of our original members, and no, he isn't dead.

Klownboxer has gotten himself a new job with a National Racing company, and will have his weekends spoken for for the foreseeable future. While it is great for him, it sucks for the rest of us.

Klownboxer (from here on out will be referred to as KB), is one of those players that makes you applaud his play at times, and makes you pull out your own hair at others. He has truly improved his play, so much so, that one of the top players in the league hates to have him at his table because, "I can't get a read on him. I can't figure him out."

While a compliment, there are times that not even KB knows what he is doing!

KB can mix up his game (knowingly), and can also mix it up, without really realizing it. I won't go into specifics, but one hand comes to mind. This took place many months ago, and is still one of the classic KB moments ever:
Playing at Irish Jim's game, I am in BB, KB UTG. KB raises it 3x BB. 1 player in mid-late position calls. I had rags, I fold.
Flop:
10-7-9 rainbow
KB checks, caller bets out, KB flat calls
Turn:
??(I think paint)
KB bets, caller shoves all in, KB calls.
KB shows 8-6 offsuit (flopped nut straight)
Caller shows 99 (set of 9's)
Caller needs board to pair to win the hand--he whiffs, KB takes the pot, and busts the player out.
I don't even want to BEGIN to analyze this hand, because if I do, it would ruin one of the fonder memories of grinding it out at the table with him. Suffice to say, nice hand, sir.
KB will be missed by the league, but thankfully he is not relocating anywhere, so I will have a chance to catch up with him at Irish Jim's game (on the rare occasions I can make it), and then a few weeks during the racing year, he will be around the track also.
He's a solid player, but more than that, he is a solid human being. He will be missed at the table, as well as in my office.

Good luck, assclown!

No comments: