Monday, January 8, 2007

Double Header Sunday


What a good time.

Played 2 tourneys in one night....1st game Omaha hi. What fun.

For those who don't know, Omaha is played like Hold Em, but you are dealt 4 cards rather than 2. you MUST play 2 cards in your hand and 3 on the board to make your best 5 card hand. If you are unfamiliar with it, it can cause you a headache.....there was plenty of Advil passed around!
Klownboxer won the Omaha tourney, thanks in large part to big saves on the river. He rivered a 3 outer to knock out Karen, then rivered one of 7 remaining diamonds to bust me out in 3rd. My buddy Vito made the remark that he was proud of me for not chirping at him for the river suckout, to which I replied, "Omaha is a drawing game....can't rip a guy for drawing." I love Omaha...would play it again anytime.

Next we played NL Hold 'Em. Hard to say what the hell I was doing wrong. I know there was a lot of it. I know that when I would raise a pot, I got plenty of callers. Guess folks think I am raising to steal rather than raising with a hand. I'll have to evaluate that some more. For the most part, I played fairly tight, although I made a few mistakes trying reach draws when I should have just gone away. When you make poor decisions like that, your stack dwindles. My stack was magic--it disappeared.

I busted out while chasing the nut flush draw--I had Ac 7c, and called a raise pre-flop. 2 clubs on the flop, opponent shoved all in, I called, I had outs (any A, any club--he had top pair Queens), but the draw never got there. I used my rebuy and busted when my AhKd didn't improve and I lost to pocket 9's.

The charitable folks at the table saw fit to allow the host an additional (read they saw more dead money) rebuy, and I actually compensated the table with an extra T1000 in chips. I ended up 4th (out of the money), but I had a blast. We have such a good group of players--not just good card players, but good friends. I like having them over (and there are others that could not attend this week that certainly fall into that group), makes not winning bearable because we all have a good time.
Hold 'Em ended when Dealerman outlasted Hammer, and I do mean outlasted. Hammer was down to his final 900 in chips with the blinds of 400-800, 100 ante. He was all in pre-deal with 900 left, and proceeded to win 3 or 4 straight double ups. That made it fairly interesting, as Dealerman has shown (at my home games anyway), that no chip lead of his is safe heads-up. Dealerman did finally catch on a hand (Hammer shoved all in with K-8 off, Dealerman called with J-9 off), and the J hit on the river to end it. Karen and I looked at each other at one point in Hammer's comeback and without saying anything, sorta agreed it was too funny to watch, since we had seen this before.
Might have something brewing for this Saturday...the wife is having a birthday and loves playing Omaha with me (the card version you sickos!)...and I have a great idea for her cake!
Good luck and good cards!
~M

No comments: