Monday, September 17, 2007

September League

Didn't go quite the way I had hoped. I was unable to follow-up the win in August, but did manage a 13th place finish, good for a sprinkling of 3 points. Not a great result, for sure, but upon further review, not great playing by me either.

Had my chips up to around 4900 or so, but ran into 3 hands that spelled my demise.

Hand 1, I'm in the BB with AKoff, and all fold to the SB, who pops the pot. I shove all in hoping to drive him out, but instead, he calls and shows QQ. Yes, in a parallel universe, I hit the A or the K and win the hand, take the chips and move on. Instead, I live in an unparalleled universe--one where everyone hits their overcards against me (I know, WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!), so I miss, he doubles through me.

Hand 2, I'm in a blind with 2 diamonds (I think 10-6), limp in, not raises, and 2 diamonds hit the flop. I push, and get called. caller has Ace high (I think--I really don't remember). Again, parallel universe, I hit the diamond. No diamond. he double through me, leaving me with about 1300. I scoop a couple small pots to work the stack north a little, and then the kill shot.

Hand 3, J9 of hearts in SB. No raise, I limp, BB checks. Flop comes 2 hearts. I check, BB bets, I shove. He tanks, and finally calls. Showing A-10. He hit a 10 on the flop, so he has TPTK. Hits a 3rd 10 on the turn, and I'm dead to any heart that doesn't pair the board. Whiff. Ballgame.

Anyway, I did try to win, I'm not embarrassed to say that. The thing I am most upset with was playing from behind. I generally get my chips in with the lead (small though it may be at times, it's still the lead). In all 3 instances shown above, I trailed. I definitely played a little bit loose--and that won't be happening again.

Anyway, next 3 Sunday's are no good for poker with my NFL commitments, so it looks like I will be searching for any kind of game when I can get one, but they will be few and far between.

Good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: