Sunday, March 25, 2007

Where to begin....hmmmm



Well, I didn't win the March event. Didn't have many big holdings, picked up Aces 1 time, and won with them. Got away from a disaster, but in the end, wasn't able to do any real damage. Couple hands of interest:



On Button with AK suited. 1 limper in middle position, 1 player in late position raises it (blinds 25-50) to 125. I bump it to 300. Original raiser calls.



Flop x-J-9-we both check



Turn-K-check check



River-Q-he checks.



I reached for chips, but, for some strange reason, I looked back through my shades at the board, and smelled a rat. I checked.



Original raiser shows pocket 10's for the K-hi straight.



Why didn't I bet it? I honestly don't know. I could tell you a story filled with smoke and lies, but I just didn't think a bet was gonna pick up that pot. Even if I bet the turn, I know he would have called (and I know this because he told me later on a break...). Just glad I lost the minimum I put in.



In the end it didn't matter, because I ended up going all in during the 4th level (100-200) with AQ suited in spades. My allin wasn't really enough to scare anyone off, as I had just 650 left. Yes, you can smell what the Rock is cookin... Get a call from the BB--he has A-7 offsuit



Flop-2 spades, Turn-brick, river 7.



He had just 2 outs in the deck after the flop--7 of spades would have made my flush.



Sick 2 outer there, but hey, it happens. I just kinda laughed at it, and flipped all 4 of my chips to the winner, and then razzed him all night. It wasn't a bad call on his part, so no need to feel bitter at him for making it--just the Poker Gods giving me a little medicine I suppose.



Still sitting in good shape to make the league TOC, but didn't do myself any favors with my low finish. Still have a good shot at winning the regular season Player of the Year award, but still have some obstacles to overcome. Right now, I just need to get feeling better about my play. I know I mucked 2 winners on Saturday to the same player, basically got bluffed out of hands. Gonna replay those hands in my head and learn from them. Just time to re-focus a bit, as I have about a month to prepare for the regular season finale.



Had a situation arise where a players chips disappeared from his seat at the table. I have to applaud the job we, as the Executive Committee, did to rectify the situation. We gathered the data, got some accounts from witnesses, and made, what I feel was the fair and correct ruling. Basically, a player moved into another seat with a bunch of chips, and when the player's chips got onto the new table, they basically swallowed up the other players stack (this was heading to a break). It was an honest mistake, with no ill intent, and once we did our due diligence, we made the proper ruling. No hard feelings, no ill will, no backlash or breach of trust. It was a mistake, we dealt with it, and moved forward.



There was, at one fleeting moment, a thought that we stop the tourney and start over. OK, I'll confess, I made that suggestion, since I was about to get knocked out!!! Seriously, we did the right thing, and I hope all players involved in the situation (or as witnesses) were satisfied with how it was handled. If you weren't, please feel free to contact me, and let me know your thought (you can leave a comment here if you like, or PM me through the league site).



My feeling is this. We have a very, VERY good group of people. I can honestly say that I view each league member as a friend of mine. I hope they feel the same about me. Having a group of 40 people in one place, all enjoying a poker tournament, and each other's company is truly a special thing, and I truly enjoy each minute of these things, win, lose or draw. The league is something special, and in the time we've been running it, it has morphed into a very good time, with some damn good players. The misunderstanding about the missing chips was just that--a misunderstanding, or better yet-an accident. I certainly hope that no one is harboring any bad feelings towards the folks involved.



Got to go--got a golf date in the morning at Quail Hollow....you know, where the PGA plays the Wachovia Championship???



Yeah, I know y'all are jealous.

No comments: