Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Random thoughts on a Wednesday




Hello readers--all 6 of you! Just a quick hit today with very little going on poker-wise.





Been playing the fake money games on Full Tilt still as our gold guh-ment contiues to protect us from ourselves...how thoughtful. Has been fun, but frustrating all at once. In these 90 player tourneys, the first hand is an all-in fest, with people trying to grab a big stack, and then try and ride it to the win. I have done some of that, sometimes with modest holdings (8-7 suited, J-10 suited), and sometimes with a hammer (AA, KK, QQ). So funny how the worst hand in many of these situations, actually wins the pot. And I mean worst. J-4 off, Q-6 off...you name it. It's funny and frustrating all at once. Good thing is, it costs me nothing except chips that I won't ever be able to turn into real money, so no skin off my nose.





Played a 16 player tourney at Vito's over the weekend. Many of the folks in the League attended, as well as some friends of Vito's that are not in the League. Didn't money, basically because I got rivered after flopping the nut straight. Had J-9 in BB, and flat called a preflop raise.


Flop- 8-10-Q rainbow.


Doesn't get prettier for my hand. I bet, original raiser pops it--I flat call.


Turn- K


Somewhat of a scare card, as original raiser could have A-J for broadway. I didn't put him on that, so I bet at it, he calls.


River- K


TOTAL scare card, but only for a second. I check, he shoves all in for his last 1300.


Hello, tank...I sit in there thinking, what could he have raised pre-flop with to shove all in on running Kings?


A-K? Very likely, considering he flopped a straight draw, and I thought after the re-raise post-flop, he was trying to push me out of the pot. Hitting running K's gives him top set, top kicker...which I have beat. I call.


WRONG! He shows pocket 8's for 8's full.


Ouch. Crippling, and it was still very early--level 1 or 2, I forget.



Managed 1 double up when my AQ ran a set of Aces, then raked a nice pot with anothe rflopped straight (K9 in BB, with no raises...free look at a Q-J-10 rainbow flop), but couldn't muster anything more after that.


Still an enjoyable night, but it was tempered when I learned a friend of ours is sick. We are all here for ya, Kid, and we will be. I am not naming names, as it is not my place to do so. that news belongs to them, and it is their decision about making it known to others. The League supports them fully, and will do what we can.

******

On another note, one of our League members offered up an opinion that making it deep in our tournaments is more luck based (for this season anyway). I would disagree with that big time (respectfully disagree, mind you). I was looking around at some of the finishes for this season, and (not tooting my own horn), for all players without a win, I lead in points earned, and can finish with a score no lower than 275. We factor our points counting your 8 best scores, and dropping your worst 3. I would be averaging 34 points earned per event, which is roughly a 13th place finish in each of my 8 tournaments that count. I have 4 final tables this season, with 3 cashes. I have been consistent in my results this season.



A year ago, my results were horrifying, as I was a victim of being unlucky more than just winning hands. When I say unlucky, I mean going all in with KK, getting called by A-Q, 2 players at the table saying they each folded AJ preflop, because they didn't think it was a strong enough holding, only to see the case Ace hit on the river. That was my season in a nutshell, and it happened at least 6-8 times when my chips were all in, and I had the lead. No, I am no complaining, merely stating the facts about me League season from a year ago.



My point is, I am not the only one who has had solid results this season--by my unscientific calculations, I see 4 other players with at least 3 final tables this season-3 of which have tournament victories-all in my neighborhood in points. Sure, there is some degree of luck involved in poker, but over time, skill will beat luck long term.



Are we the BEST players in the league? Out of the 5 players I describe, I would say I am probably 4th on that list (you League folks would say 5th, and I would agree some as well if it makes you give your chips to me next month, lol), but we might be playing the best over the course of the season. There are others who have had some STRONG (and I mean on steroids strong) finishes of late, and are certainly threats for our season ending Tournament of Champions.



2 events remain in the regular season, and a win would lock up my TOC seat. Right now, I am in very good shape to be in the field without a win, but you know me--W's baby!! It's what I crave!!! If I should happen to donk myself out of a seat in the TOC (or have a speeding freight train pass me by in the standings--yes VP & Vito, that means you two), then it will be satellite time for me before the TOC. I hope it doesn't come to that.


Good luck and good cards!


~M

No comments: