Monday, February 5, 2007

Back Online....wow

Wow what a weekend...Friday night, after I got home from work, I signed up for a TEC (Tournament Entry Chip) Freeroll on UB. These things are usually donkfests, and I figured, if I can just withstand the maniacs in the first 30 minutes, I could play some poker and see how I do. Remember, no money on the line here, so people play completely off the wall. The pic shows my result--top 50 advanced to the TEC final on Sunday afternoon.
OK--so 19th place out of that initial field--not bad. Sunday's TEC Final--2069 players in all. Still a freeroll, but the players here are playing for a TEC (value $100) plus $9 cash into your account. Made ONE mistake, and that was on my last hand. Tried to push a monster stack in the SB off his hand with my KJ--he had JJ, got all the chips in, and won it, knocking me out in 66th.


Not bad, and not overly disappointing, considering I was hurt early (down to about 1100). I battled back, and had one memorable hand.
Blinds are 600-1200 with 125 ante. I am in SB, with about 10K in chips, 2 callers preflop to me, I limp in with suited K-3 diamonds. BB goes all in for his last 565 chips. Other players call, as do I (getting 3-1 on preflop call)
Flop:Ah-3h-3c
What is your play here?
I can't put anyone on AA (except MAYBE the BB since he shoved preflop, but since he had 565 left, he was hoping for a miracle). The 2 hearts scare me big, as does the A on board. Another A falls, and I have the losing boat.
I shoved all in for the rest of my stack.
Now if you are the other 2 players, what do you do?
I shoved into a dry side pot, basically indicating I hit that flop...but if you are on a flush draw, or you have a big A (like AJ, AQ, AK), you might think your hand is best.
1 player calls my all in, and the other re-raises to force that caller all in. Wow.
I was up against:
KhQh (nut flush draw with 2 to come)
AsJc (Aces up, J kicker)
BB had J-6 of spades or something
Turn:6c
River:7s
2 players bust, I win over 40K in chips, and moved on.
Normally, I wouldn't bet into a dry side pot like that, but flopping a set, and seeing 2 suited cards out there forced my hand. I bet there to protect my set, and if no one calls, so be it, I win the hand, and fewer chips. The other 2 callers to my all in were definitely gambling, and the heart draw had more chances to get there (9 outs to 4 on the fullhouse draw). I was glad that my "wins" came out, and not their outs, and moved me along nicely.
Cards this week seem scarce--likely won't play another live game until our Feb. League event, but if that changes, I will let y'all know!
~M

No comments: