Tuesday, September 30, 2008

When C-SPAN and CNN...

...are on your TV more than poker re-runs, something is wrong. Well, something IS wrong, and it has everything to do with the lawmakers and corporate idiots that have me feeling almost embarrassed to be an American. Almost.

Our economy is teetering on the brink of catastrophe, and the people in government, trying to work this thing out, and try and get is back on its feet are pointing fingers, and crying this, blaming that....

SHUT YOUR POCKET LINED MOUTHS AND GET TO WORK!

I found it interesting that my blog tracker told me the US Department of Justice had a look-see here. Why? Hell if I know. I pay my taxes, I hold a steady job. I haven't committed a felony. My worst offense in my life was at the age of 12 when I was caught trespassing on a golf course. Basically, I was golfing on a course that wasn't open yet, and I didn't even get arrested for it--just held by the cops, and had the crap scared out of me.

So, again, why peek in on this harmless blog by someone who enjoys poker? Whatever. There are far more important people to be concerned with than me. Then again, this is the same government that felt online poker was such a bad thing, they went ahead and pass the UIGEA, rather than look in on a credit lending issue that has us where we are today: homes lowering in value, banks going out of business, and a credit crunch that has everyone walking on a razor's edge of being ok, or being broke.
I know there are international readers of this blog, thanks to the good folks at Poker Weblogs (see the link on the right if you wish to check them out). To my international rounders, I say I'm sorry on behalf of my country for their behavior. Rather than act as Americans, they are acting like republicans and democrats. Enough of the politics, kids. Do what is right for the nation. That is, if you even remember how.

OK, off the soapbox. You came here for poker.
Well, gonna get a game tonight at Irish Jim's, and frankly I need it. Had another long and busy week, and this one promises more of the same, so a night off is just what the doctor ordered. Will try and get my game back on track--I don't think I'm far off of it, just need to give it a tune up. If I do that, I should be able to cash, if not win. Of course, ultimately ,the cards will determine my fate.

ESPN continues to run the Main Event coverage, and I will be looking forward to tonight's episodes--think I'll DVR them. I know HD broadcasts are wonderful for the fast action games like football and hockey, but watching poker in hi-def is awesome if you're a poker player. The chip colors are so rich, the player expressions are so vivid--just wonderful stuff.

Was actually glad to see Jerry Yang go broke (sorry for the spoiler), but it was hard watching him coin-flip his way through the field last year, and then just outmuscle everyone with his dominant stack at the final table. Had the dude with the stare (Philip Hilm) not dusted off his stack to him, we may have seen Yang go out earlier, rather than win it all. Yes, Yang is a nice guy, but think back to last year. When he won it, his family was there, and they all looked like they were sincerely rooting for him to do well. This year, the looks on their faces were like, "I don't believe we are here watching this again." And they looked like the money had done them well. The father (I think it was his Dad), was clean-shaven, new clothes, the whole nine yards. That's fine too. But it was more business-like for them. not the same joy and exuberance. Of course, Jerry went broke on day 2, so I guess there's no celebrating when you finish out of the money. I have no idea who the final 9 players are (as they'll play for the money and bracelet in November), and I have no desire to find out. I'll watch the coverage and try to enjoy it. I just hope these final 9 guys are worth watching.

I had the chance to play this past Saturday in a charity event for Speedway Children's Charities. It was a great time, and I got to meet the rhythm guitarist for Aerosmith, Brad Whitford. That truly did not suck. What did suck, was me not having a camera, and then what sucked more, was my AK of clubs going down to trip 8's the bust me. I was fine with not winning. I truly had a blast, and in the end, it was all for a great cause. SCC does great things for kids, and I was glad to participate, and thankful they asked me to.

Anyway, I am a little better today, than I was on Monday. Monday was a tough day for me, as it was my father's birthday. Of course, my Pops passed away back in June, so not being able to call him and wish him a happy birthday was certainly foreign, and difficult to deal with. I thought about him all day, and on 3 separate occasions while I was at work, I "felt" him. I know it sounds weird, but there were 3 different times that I was at my desk, and a certain area of my head (in the back) would begin to tingle. It was the same spot that my Dad would touch my scalp when he was showing me affection. I find that I do the same with my kids these days. It was a nice feeling, and it told me that he was still right there with me, in my day-to-day life. I know this is kinda deep, and strange, but hey, this is my outlet.

I didn't get to tell him happy birthday to his face, but he told me that he knew I was thinking about him. That love never leaves, even in death. I am glad to have found that out first hand.

Happy Birthday, Dad. You're still my hero.

~M