Monday, September 8, 2008

Feels like forever

...since I sat in a big tournament, when in reality it's been only a couple weeks. Have 2 more weeks to wait until the next one too, which kinda sucks. Would love to scare up a game this weekend, on Saturday, so we shall see if that comes to pass. have work on Sunday, and then a LONG day on Monday (a week from now), so maybe I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Let's get through this week first, shall we?

Hmmmm....since my last blog post, my home became a haven for my evacuee buddy Jimmy from New Orleans. He took off from the Big Easy as Gustav was bearing down on him. Gustav came, and went, Jimmy went and saw friends up north after spending 4 days with me, and now he's back home. He could be back if Ike decides to go all Tina on his block again (think Ike and Tina Turner there), and of course, the door is open to him. Was happy that he was virtually untouched with Gustav. Hope Ike misses him too.

While Jimmy was in town, I had the chance to sit in Irish Jim's game, and what a blast that was. I went broke when Klownboxer played K9 off to perfection, and I got crazy with the nut flush--all the money was going in there, and I did have 1 out, the J of hearts, to scoop. Alas, I didn't hit it.

Irish Jim made the memorable play of the night, trying to buy a pot (a biggie) with a board of Q-X-5-Q-5. Volsfan made a great read, and called with the bottom full house 5's full of Q's, while Irish Jim smiled and said, that's enough. He later said he had 9-2 off, but he bet every street, raised pre-flop, bet the flop, turn and river, or as I was calling it (after reading it somewhere), "emptying the clip."

Sure he stacked off, but it almost worked. Volsfan was in the tank a good bit, and wasn't sure if calling was right. When she did call, it was a treat to see Irish Jim smiling, basically admitting he got caught, but that's a part of the game. Amir Vahedi once said, "to win in tournaments, you have to be willing to die." Well, Irish Jim bought the farm on the hand, but was able to resuscitate himself with a rebuy. Turns out he won the tourney that night. Slainte!

Been working like a dog, and that's fine--it's football season, which means the work doesn't feel like work. Also been back on the golf course, and loving that, too. I just have to figure out how to hit my driver. I know it sounds sick, but if I am not hitting my driver well, I'm not playing well. Simple as that. My game is based on getting off the tee. Straight and long. I am hitting long, but right now it's crooked. That's no good. I straighten out the driver, I'll be back into the respectable neighborhood again--like low 80's, upper 70's. Ideal temps and golf scores to boot.

Until we post again....good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: