Friday, August 17, 2007

The NEW "Kid Poker"


The following is a true story,. The names have not been changed, as no one is guilty of anything.

Just got the little guy back from his summer time visit with his father (a real piece of work that I just don't have the heart or time to discuss here--suffice to say, he's not among my favorite carbon-based life forms).

ANYWAY.

Spence and I are sitting at the poker table, and he wants to play War. I say, "how about I teach you 7-stud?"

He agrees, and off we go. I break out 2 equal stacks of chips-all the same denoms-and tell him we are playing limit, so you can only bet and raise 1 chip at a time.

We start, and this hand comes up.
Spence has a 10 showing, I have a J, with wired 3's underneath. He brings in 1 chip with the low card on board, I call.

4th street--he gets another 10, I get another 3. He bets 1 chip on his 10's, I flat call.

5th street-he picks up a K, I get a 2nd J. I have 3's full. He bets his 10-10, I raise with the made boat. HE RE-RAISES (mind you I say that in caps because I haven't said anything to him about re-raises and the like). So, he 3 bets, I cap with a 4th bet. He calls.

6th street-he picks up a 4, I land a 9. He bets his 10-10, I call (slowing down because he might just have something).

7th street-face down--he checks, I bet, HE RAISES!!!! Again, I never mentioned check-raises to him before we sat down, so his check-raise was mind-boggling. I flat call the raise, and say, "What do you have?"

He chirps, "HA-HAAHHHH!!!! AND HE ROLLED OVER K-10 FOR A 5TH STREET FULL HOUSE 10'S FULL OF KINGS!

Little guy knew what he had the whole time, and got paid off nicely for it. This is a kid that will sometimes watch games with me on TV, or watch my home games when people are over. He has never played poker with me until earlier this week. I was fairly impressed that he knew to re-raise, check-raise, and then not slow-roll me when called after the hand.



So beware, when you see him sitting at your table....in say, 14 years or so....

~M

No comments: