Monday, May 7, 2007

One down....

...and now 2 more to go. Finished up working at the Wachovia Championship. Great week, fantastic golf, and I got to see, up close and personal, the 2nd shot of Vijay Singh on Saturday. A 162 yard 8 iron from the right hand first cut of rough, that went SWISH! Straight into the jar. Made for some great video.

Tiger won it, by a tidy 2 shots, and it wrapped up one of my better weeks of work. Followed Tiger and Michael Jordan for a bit on Wednesday during the pro-am, then covered the championship rounds on Thursday and Friday. Spoke one on one with Padraig Harrington (got an e-mail saying I was pronouncing his name wrong, when in fact Harrington told me that there are 2 versions of the pronunciation, and mine was fine). Harrington had just self-destructed on the 18th hole making a triple bogey 7. He then proceeded to head to the driving range, and hit about 600 balls, all with his driver. In between swings, he was chomping on a sandwich. I've been steamed up at the poker table, but after I finish a tourney, I generally don't log on and play online. Harrington was quite gracious, and very polite, in spite of his bad finish. He didn't have to talk to me, but he did. Very cool Irishman.

Saturday was a screwy day, thanks to a 2 hour rain delay. Play finally ended around 8:00 p.m., and yes, it was VERY dark. Still, got great video of a wild day at the course. 3 different players all in the hunt for the lead at the time, knocked in shots from the fairway for eagles. It was crazy. Nuts. And then I see one of those eagles? Wonderful stuff.

After Saturday, Sunday was a bit of a letdown, but it was still good stuff nonetheless. After Tiger finished his media session (after winning), I was standing near his path, and said "Congratulations, Tiger." He replied "Thanks very much," and shook my hand as he walked past. Coolest moment off the golf course for sure.

Now that golf is done for another year, it's time to charge up my scanner and get ready for racing. 2 days of testing at the Speedway starting today, and then the 2 races at the end of the month. Good thing is, I will likely be freed up for some poker on Wednesday at Irish Jim's. Bad thing is my legs are cooked. Haven't had this much fatigue in them since my hockey days.

After all the great golf I saw this week, the pain was truly worth it.

Good luck, and soon I hope, good cards!
~M

No comments: