Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Some Wednesday thoughts

1-Been a ton of talk regarding style of play vs. results within the league. It has gotten nasty, which really sucks. I consider all the players friends of mine, and hate to see the griping and sniping. Sometimes, in my opinion, you have to let sleeping dogs lie and not kick them. All we can do as poker players is get our chips in with the best of it, and make the best decisions we can with the information available. We are in season 3 now, and looking back on season 1, I am actually kinda proud of how I handled my run in that first year. I saw more bad beats than I care to remember (I think I was a favorite in 9 of the 12 hands that knocked me out that year). Was I frustrated? Yes. Was I angry? Yes. Did I show it? Sure I did. It happens, and thankfully, I have come to grips with the fact that sometimes, you run good, and sometimes, you run bad.

There really is no way to run good at all times, simply because the cards don't always break even. It's a nasty fact of the game, but fact nonetheless. Daniel Negreanu's website had this tip on the left hand side of his webpage, which I re-post, with full credit to FullContactPoker.com:

"Take responsibility for your results.

If they aren't as good as you'd like them to be, do something about it! Get a mentor, read a book, study the best player in your game - do something! Learn a lesson from your mistakes, and check your ego at the door. You'll be surprised what you can learn if you allow yourself to accept criticism from a friend who may be able to help you. Sometimes it's good to have a friend help you fine-tune your game when things are looking dismal. When things are going badly, you may develop bad habits that you may not be aware of, but that are obvious to your opponents. Hopefully, your friends will see them and be willing to help you when you're down. I know that my friends certainly did, and I thank all of them."

2-Looking like 85% for me to sit at Irish Jim's tonight. Really look forward to it--always a good time, with good friends. Hope I can make it a hat trick of "goods", with some good cards, too.

3-When is Spring gonna get here, and stick around? Crap, I hate cold weather, even though I have my roots in the north. I love my golf, and have been able to chase the ball around a few times this month. Cold...well, it just sucks.

4-When is Vegas gonna get here? Oh yeah, July. Gotta get my Powerball ticket, just in case!

~M

No comments: