Monday, February 25, 2008

OK, poker, as promised

Played the pub poker tourney, actually 2 tourneys, on Sunday. Remember the post about making better decisions? Mission accomplished. Very pleased with my play, my decisions, and even the hands I busted out on. Finished 6th (I think..6th or 7th) in the first one, and then 3rd in the 2nd.

First tourney. Built a nice stack early, with my AK out flopping 10-10, and making 2 pair, top kicker. Then had a couple more hands that sent me towards 10K in chips (starting stack 3650--I know, random, right?). At final table, didn't really catch many hands, saw some cheap flops, but got outrun in other spots. Stack dwindled a bit, and finally had to push with K-10 on the button for my last hand. Got 2 callers, hit my K on an A-K-x flop, but there were 2 spades in that flop, another on the turn and river, and I was done for by a player holding 77, with the 7 of spades. Tough to have the lead, and then get out run, but no way was I the favorite going in. K-10 is no monster hand, but shortstacked, it was the best I was gonna see.

Second tourney. Again, built a nice stack early, and cracked 10K in chips (same starting stacks), got to the final table in good chip position, and watched some others blow up around me, others get outdrawn. We got to 3 handed play, when my final hand came up. Blinds are 1-2K, I'm SB with 10K behind my forced 1K. Button limps, I limp with A-6o, BB checks. Flop comes A-Q-10 rainbow. I shove, BB folds, button thinks for a bit and calls, rolling over KQoff. He hits a K on the end, and I'm out.

Now, I know there will be some that will say, "why not shove preflop?" Well, If I do, do you honestly think I am not getting called by the KQ? Anyway you slice it, that was my go broke hand. All my chips were getting in one way or another. The BB had 19K, the button had maybe 26K, so I could have shoved early and gotten called, or did what I did, and get called. Again--happy with my decision, knowing how it all played out.

No real bad beats, other than turning a K-high straight in the first game, getting my opponent all-in before the river, showing my straight before the river card was dealt, only to have my opponent, who was the dealer by the way, roll over the river J, and announce, "I have quads."

Zoinks!

Likely heading back to the pub this Sunday--the poker guys are in danger of losing that location, so if you live near me (and you know who you are), make plans on heading over there this week. It's a nice place, and good folks run the games. I would hate it if the games stopped over there, as I likely would be hard pressed to return.

Anyway, good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: