Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A 2007 to remember

It's only fitting that I bring back the Johnny Chan picture for this installment of the blog (long overdue to all 6 of you loyal readers). 2007 has been a tremendous year for me at the poker table. I can not quantify the results, but in terms of how I have played this year, through the highs and the lows, I sense my game has improved immensely.

Saturday was the December league event, and I managed to pick up my 2nd win of the season, and I will readily admit that I played some great poker early, and some "meh" poker later. My reads in the early portion of the tourney were very good. I was able to get away from dangerous hands when I was beat, and I was able to apply pressure and take down pots with players drawing at me.

Late, I got lucky in some big spots, that I continue to evaluate why I played what I did, and how to better avoid being in those spots. I may have finished first, but I don't know that6 I played the best of anyone that night. In my first tourney win of the season, I felt like I played the strongest tourney of my life. Saturday, I was decent, but certainly not overwhelming. My friend Vito expressed that I am playing stronger than I may be giving myself credit for, and that's fine. I just want to get better.

Currently, I am 4 points behind first place overall in points, and the 2nd win for me this season opened up an additional points earning seat in the TOC for someone else. I know the feeling of being outside the TOC, and hoping that any extra opening comes along to make it a little easier to find my way in. Hope that eases the minds of some in our league. No doubt, I will try to get another one in January.

Other notes: Mom and Dad are back in Vegas after spending 10 days with us. I think they liked it out here, but I am not convinced they are committed to moving out here. I know they should move out here, but if they will--that's a different deal. Time will tell--they need to sell their house, Mrs. Chipstack and I need to make the necessary arrangements for them to move in with us. Plenty of hurdles to overcome before we make it a reality.

Cards in the future: Irish Jim's tonight (I took the night off from work after working some ridiculous stretch of days over the past 3 weeks). MAYBE Dec. 9 at my place--if I can scare up a game on a Sunday. Beyond that, no clue. Would like to get in another big tourney before the new year, but that may no come off. Time will tell.

Good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: