Saturday, October 25, 2008

How to fade a beat...

...let me count the ways.

Sat in at Irish Jim's game on Wednesday, and had a nice night. I played very well (I thought), making plenty of good decisions, and reads. I tried a steal from early position, and got re-raised by a shorter stack (Irish Jim himself). My raise priced me into the pot (which I shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place-I gotta get better with that recognition), so I made the call. turned out I actually had the lead when my J-8 of spades was up against 8-9 of hearts. The J8 held up, and I dragged a nice pot, but in retrospect, that was an error.

I got it all in for my tournament life 4 handed with A-J suited (spades). Here's the action. I'm SB, UTG folds, button (chip leader) limps, I shove (about 3K more), BB folds and the chip leader goes into the tank. Deep. Thinks and thinks, and says "I don't like this card," and exposes a 2 of diamonds. I must have done something to indicate I was weak, because he made the call, and rolled over K-2 suited in diamonds. Of course, he catches the 2, and busts me.

Now, I don't care how you try and justify it, that's a loose call. No, I'm not bitter about it-he called, hit the hand, done. Still, I don't care how much of your stack is at risk. 10%, 20%, whatever. That's just a bad play. I would have loved seeing Q-10, K-J, K-9, any 2 card combination that at least had some stretch to it. Suited in that spot counts for very little. It just doesn't make sense to me that a call seems like the right play. Regardless, it worked out there for him.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that when I go bust lately, people are calling off a lot of chips with weaker hands to beat me. That does not apply to my last league tourney, as I shoved (on the morphine drip) with 10-6 suited UTG. It's a frustrating feeling, this poker, getting your chips in with the best hand, only to see it go down in flames when the inferior hands connects.

No hard feelings, just confusion on why that call looked appealing. Still trying to wrap my head around it, and I don't know that I will any time soon. No poker for me this week (more than likely), a trip out of town next weekend for CANUSA, and then maybe back to Irish Jim's the following week. Next league tourney is a few weeks away, and I feel good about the way I am playing. I just need some of the breaks to fall my way. they will come...I just wish they would hurry up and get here.

~M

No comments: