Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The countdown is on....



July 5th is gonna be a great day. Why? Well, on July 6th, I begin my vacation. I will travel to see family at our Reunion on the 7th, and on the 8th, it is off to Vegas.

I can not wait. I have done some re-examining of how I do things, and I think I need to find a way to take more time off during the year. Mind you, I love me some extended vacation, and a week in Vegas will help unravel the miles of knots in my shoulders and neck, but maybe I need to step back some and take an extra day here or there. I don't know. I love doing what I do, but, truth be told, if I had the roll to do it, I'd be grinding it out at the table. Stud, Hold 'Em, Omaha, whatever. Just grab me a seat, gimme some checks, and let's go.

Poker has been a little thin lately, and it likely will stay that way until Vegas. We don't have another league event until we all get back from the trip--there are 8 of us (I think) from the league going out west, so it will be a fun time. Some of us have spouses going as well, which will make the vacation that much more enjoyable. I am working through Thursday of this week, and then through Thursday of next week. Busy too, with the NBA draft and US Women's Open going on in our coverage area--I am up to my ass in alligators these days. You like that one? Been saying it for a while, and as far as I know, that's an original. I dunno. I'm rambling.

Vacation on the horizon....OH! And it's CANUSA weekend. Majorly pumped to avenge the 32 shot beating the Canucks put on us in the spring. Big turnout for this one--players coming in from San Diego, New Orleans, Colorado, Toronto, Houston....gonna be big, but most of all, it will be good to see some old friends. One guy is coming in for his first tourney in like 5 years. I used to be his defense partner on our hockey team before I moved out of Raleigh.

Damn, one more story....sorry to keep babbling. My friends at Chiptalk.net have engaged in a battle lately over the sale of WSoP replica chips. There is a guy based in Europe who came up with replica chips of the ones being used at the Series right now. They look very much like the originals with some exceptions:
1-the materials used to make the chips are different. The originals are clay, the replicas are ceramic
2-the design on the outer edge (not the edgespots)--often referred to as the "mold", was different. The originals use a Paulson top hat & cane design....the replicas were also a tophat, but it faced a different direction, as did the cane with it.
3-the wording on the chips was different from the wording of the Series chips.

All of those things factored in, you might ask, what is the harm? Well, someone alerted Harrah's to this, and Harrah's told the chip seller in Europe to cease and desist making the chips, which he has.

Personally, I think it's a shame that someone (believed to be a member of the Chiptalk.net community), would rat out a person trying to bring these very cool looking chips to the home market. I do understand copyright laws, and the like, but c'mon. No one at Harrah's was being hurt by this, the designers of the chips have more than likely already been compensated for their work. Again, who is getting hurt?

Personally, I am hoping for a big Vegas trip, so I can contact my buddy to have him make me some banging chips for the league....that, of course, I will hang onto....

Hopefully, one more post before vacation. Speaking of the blog, I have added some new links to the side for you to check out--namely Shane "Shaniac" Schleger and Paul Wasicka's sites. Schleger is posting his blog stuff (for the WSoP) on Pokerwire--just click the jump on his page to get there.

Good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: