Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A new slate

2007-2008 League season would rate as a success. 2 wins, plus a 2nd place finish in the Tournament of Champions. Not bad.

Guess what?

That officially means nothing. Season 4 begins this weekend, and I am looking forward to getting back to the table. I did manage an 8-handed game at the house last Sunday, which was nice. Good to get back to the table, see some cards, flops, check-raises, you name it. Won't go into hand details here, frankly because I don't remember all of them. I do remember out flopped a limped A-K offsuit with 87 suited, and flopping the nut straight against an all in player. Other than that, it's fairly hazy. That's fine, too, because I want to be fresh for this weekend's season opener.

So much has happened in this month, that I am ready for vacation. Work has been crazy, my father passed away, it's been a whirlwind. Las Vegas is fast approaching, and while it will be strange to go there, and not be able to see my Dad, it's part of the moving on process. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Had a dream last night, and for the first time since he passed, my Dad appeared in a dream. Not only appeared, by spoke to me. Giving me advice. Weird, as he wasn't an advice giver. He gave orders, lol. He looked good, laying on a couch (some random couch), and watching tv. He looked younger, and relaxed. I remember in my dream, I was startled to see him alive, and I said something like, "what are you doing here?" He smiled back, and said "watching the ballgame, what do you think I'm doing?" Even in death, my Dad makes me laugh.

Anyway, the countdown to Las Vegas 2008 is in high gear, which means I have that time to do a couple things:
1-win the league opener.
2-play and win some more Sunday games at the house
3-pack
4-leave for the trip.

My attitude is right, I feel like I am on stroke, and I am eager. All good signs.

Oh, thought of a drill that helps me in terms of staying sharp mentally. This likely won't help you read other players hands or anything like that, but it helps me focus on what cards I need to win hands, and the likelihood that I am still alive or dead in a hand.

Take your deck of 52 standard cards, and scramble them on a table. Select 2 cards (basically a hold 'em hand) and place them to the side, so you know those 2 cards are the final hand. After that, draw 2 cards, peek at them, read them, and then muck them in a discard pile. After you go through 25 hands, you should have 2 unseen cards (the ones you pulled out at the beginning of the exercise). If you have been paying attention to what you have been looking at for the first 25 hands, you should know what 2 cards you yanked at the beginning. If you're really good, you'll know the suits, too. It's similar to the drill Chris "Jesus" Ferguson did in front of Norman Chad on a WSOP "The Nuts" segment a few years ago, but he looked at 1 card at a time. I don't know which way is easier, or harder, but I know I have been able to accomplish the feat (with suits) only twice.

Try it! It's not as easy as it may seem. You'll see what I am talking about!

Good luck and good cards,
~M

No comments: