Sunday, May 4, 2008

What a week

It isn't often I can walk away from a week where I peeked at exactly zero hole cards and say "what a week," but here I am.

Got to watch a young man win his first PGA Tour event this week, and I am blown away. A 22 year old kid held his nerves together like a steely-eyed warrior, and blistered one of the best fields in golf by 5 shots.

5 shots.

Incredible.

Anthony Kim is an effervescent young lad from Los Angeles, but plays golf without fear. No regrets. No second-guessing. He hits it, likes it or doesn't, walks to it, and hits it again. Never letting people see his true emotions (at least not while he was winning the tourney), until it's all over.

He punched the air after rolling in the winning putt, and you could hear the wind wince. It was beautiful. It was the stuff that I dreamt about once upon a time. Playing on the PGA Tour, rolling in a tournament clinching putt (usually for The Masters), and celebrating with the gallery. Luckily for me, I never chased that dream, thanks to my moment of clarity when I was younger (that moment when I knew I never would have the game to play at that level). Kim is a nice kid, and has a bright future ahead of him, and his win on Sunday is one I'll never forget.

OK, poker talk. I AM NOT WORKING WEDNESDAY!!! And that means, a seat at Irish Jim's (if he has one available). I am looking forward to peeking at some hole cards, and check-raising away some chips (and I have that person in mind if they show up). The time between games has been too long for my liking (as it always as at this time of year), but I will take full advantage of a well earned day off.

League TOC Saturday is on the horizon, and I can't wait. I want that bracelet (which I have to purchase for the league-oops), but I know I will have to earn it. An uber-strong field of 16 players will be seated in that event, so I know I'll have to be at my best. Hopefully Wednesday will be the first good tune-up for that.

More poker when I actually get to play some!

~M

**photo courtesy www.wachoviachampionship.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whatever....if he hasn't played in a CANUSA then he hasn't played....