Friday, December 22, 2006

Overvaluing your hand

Exhibit A:

All the chips got in after the flop, I am pokertvstar. I was able to see the cheap flop with what would turn out to be the nuts (at the end of the hand). Both players thought their pair of kings were good, but I checked post-flop, slow playing my set. Player on my left went all-in, and was called by the next player. I re-raised all-in, knowing I had the lead, because the pot was unraised pre-flop. I got the other player to call (amazingly). With both players sharing a K, and neither with 2 pair, they were virtually drawing dead on a rainbow board(and their hands were unsuited). In this spot, the value of my hand was immense, and luckily I got paid off for it.

In my humble opinion, the initial all-in was a stab, and the caller figured his kicker was good. Player 2 completely overvalued his hand when I came in over the top for all of my chips. He called without hesitation, leading me to beleive that he thought I was on a steal. That's ridiculous, again, in my opinion, because....how often is a player check-raising with nothing? That pot gave me a mountain of chips, based solely on the other players call of my all-in. Sometimes you have to ask, is top pair REALLY good here? often times, it isn't.

No comments: